An Interview with Tom Kulzer, Founder & CEO of AWeber
How and where did you get the idea for your company?
Who is one person you have always looked up to?
If you look hard enough you can find fault in every person, but Steve Jobs is someone I’ve always admired as an entrepreneur. Many people have great ideas but few take massive action to make those ideas reality. Steve Jobs not only had very specific ideas of what Apple should create, but he took massive decisive action to assemble the team who could ultimately build the devices and bring them to market while going against the popular advice of many other business commentators.
What is the most important action you took that you believe brought success to your business?
I took action… Rather than wait for one excuse or another, I used the limited resources I had available to me at the time to take action and get a solution public.
What is the number one tip you would offer to a young entrepreneur?
Don’t wait for conditions to be perfect, funding to arrive, or the perfect hire to start. Your success hinges more on your ability to stop making excuses and start taking action than you can ever realize.
What are your 5 favorite online tools?
- Google Docs - For collaborating with team members on projects and tracking various metrics.
- Zendesk - Allows our team to streamline email support with customers and prospects in a unified and consistent manner.
- Gooddata - For rolling up customer service data from Zendesk.
- LeanKitKanban - allows are IT team to plan and execute development activities.
- AWeber - to manage and measure email marketing activities.